Sunday, March 22, 2009
An Early Maori Mission
Te Where Tipene – St Stephen’s Church sits to the side of a field in the little rural settlement of Tuahiwi, six kilometres north of Kaiapoi. Governor George Grey laid the foundation stone of this cute kauri church in 1867 and the leader of this, the first Maori Mission in the South Island, Reverend James Stack, soon encouraged local Maori to settle nearby. The community still has an established Maori presence and St Stephen’s, the Tuahiwi School and Tuahiwi Marae are all strongly connected. Te Where Tipene has a Category 1 Historic Places Trust listing and it was the first church in Canterbury to have a spire.